So you’ve heard everything there is to hear about the big apple. The tall buildings, the Statue of Liberty and all of the famous spots in the city. You are finally hear, and it’s a lot to take in. That is just how New York city is for all first timers. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience and now you’ve got your chance. However, there’s a problem. You have no idea where to start from. You’ve heard the city has a lot of sights, but you don’t know where to go see them. This guide is just what you need to make your vacation one to remember. If you are looking for things to do in New York, then you are in the right place.
If you are coming to New York for the first time, then you would most definitely have heard about the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Yeah, you know the tall statue that holds a torch in almost every movie there is – you finally get to visit. However, you shouldn’t be in a haste just yet. Kensho homes is a vacation rental company that ensures you have a great time during your vacation. Also, we assist all tourists who are visiting to help them witness all there is to the great city. This guide would let you know all there is about visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island.
About the Statue of Liberty
The Statue of Liberty depicts the female figure of a roman goddess by the name of Libertas. The statue holds a torch above with her left hand and she carries a tabula in the right, which has the date of the US Declaration of Independence. There are also broken chains that lie at her feet, and the statue has always been seen as a symbol of freedom. Building the statue was a joint project between the United States and France from 1870-1875 post war period.
About Ellis Island
This island is located in the Upper New York Bay and has served as a point of entry for immigrants into the United States. The island has been part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument since 1965 and serves as a landmark that represents freedom and independence.
All you need to know before you visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- Buying tickets: Yes, you do have to buy tickets before you visit the Statue of Liberty. These tickets would serve as a pass to visiting the statue. However, it is important to know that ticket sales vary with the time of the year. During some seasons, tickets to visit the Statue of Liberty can sell out months in advance. If you are looking to get access into the Statue of Liberty Monument or its crown, you will definitely need to book in advance. The great thing is that we can help you out with all of these issues, leaving you to have a great time in the city.
- Duration of the tour: Most of the tours to the Statue are self guided and would often last between three and five hours. This is standard procedure for most tours visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You should know that this is ample time to take in all there is about the city and have a great time.
- Food and Drinks: By now you must be thinking about what you would eat on your tour. Don’t worry, you are going hungry. There are a lot of concession stands in all of the boats that sell an array of snacks and drinks that are delicious and healthy. There are also some shops on Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty that sell various condiments. You will also see some gift stores that sell souvenirs for you to remember your amazing tour.
- Programs on the park: There are a lot of programs that would catch your interest during the tour. There are a lot of exhibits on display on Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty National Monument that would keep you and your camera very busy.
- What should you wear: Visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a very casual occasion, so you can keep your dressing casual. However, you should remember to dress appropriately for the season. Also, the island is usually a bit windy, so be careful of free gowns blowing in the wind. It is also noteworthy to remember that bags and backpacks are not allowed on the island or the Statue. There are also no lockers for you to keep light items in, so be sure to keep it very light.
- Accessibility and Security: You don’t have anything to worry about with regards to accessibility if visiting the island as all of the platforms are wheelchair accessible. There is also personnel that would assist visitors that need assistance when visiting. Security is also tight and similar to what you would find when entering the airport, so leave all unnecessary metals at home.
What to expect when visiting to Statue of Liberty
If you are visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for the first time, you are in for a blast. This statue plays a significant part in the history of the United States. You will be taken through a host of places that include the information centre, where the rangers or volunteers offer to provide answers and even ask questions about the sights on the Statue. You should also visit the crown, where you will see amazing panoramic views of the city.
You should also visit the museum to get a full idea of what the statue is all about. There are also several guided tours by the park rangers in English, and they will give you full history of the island and the Statue it holds. Get ready to know all about why the statue was made and how, the important people and countries in the construction, what the statue means etc.
This is a once in a lifetime experience, and you are sure to want to return. Be sure to bring your camera along, as you are certain to have too many sights to capture. After your tour, you would need a relaxing place to stay. Kensho homes brings you vacation rentals in the best urban locations that would make your trip one to remember. You will witness a true home away from home in your first time in New York City!